We often receive requests and inquiries regarding how bands can apply to play the Picnic. When booking the Picnic line up, we concentrate on honoring the mission of the non-profit organization.
Our mission’s focus is to enhance appreciation and educate the general public about the native art form of North Mississippi Hill Country blues music through performance, preservation, and interpretation. To date, we have scheduled the line up to mainly include bands or musicians who play Hill Country Blues and have a direct connection to Junior Kimbrough, R.L. Burnside, or Otha Turner.
The NMSHCP Board of Directors has always been interested in including other Hill Country inspired artists on our roster. However, time and budget restraints have always set limits on how many and how much we can afford to pay bands to play. Anyone who enjoys the Picnic has been able to do so via the altruism of the volunteers, performers, sponsors, and ultimately, the support of the attendees. The NMSHCP has maintained a fiscally responsible budget and is very proud to be a debt free 501C(3) organization.
With progress and growth always on our mind, the NMSHCP Board of Directors has recently formulated a plan and procedure to include 3 Hill Country “inspired” bands to apply to play on the 2014 line up. Much consideration has been put towards finding a feasible and fair way to expand our line up and stay true to our mission.
That said, here are the guidelines to apply to play the 2014 NMSHCP.
1. Your band will be required to find your own sponsor. This can be a business- or individual. Your sponsor will enjoy the same benefits that our local sponsors enjoy. (See application).
2. Sponsorship for guest line up slots will be set at $1000. 65% of this will be paid directly to the band after your performance. 35% of this sponsorship will go towards the operational costs of running the event. (Sound, lights, security, rental equipment). If a hotel is desired, your band will be required to provide your own hotel accommodation. The Picnic will provide you with food and beverage for the day that you play. Camping will be available on the Picnic grounds at no cost to guest band slots.
3. The application process is electronic. To request an application, please send an email to email@example.com
4. Applications will be selected by the NMSHCP Board of Directors. Only bands who present themselves as Hill Country inspired will be considered. If necessary, voting will occur to finalize the three bands that we select.
5. The deadline to apply for these guest slots is set for January 31, 2014.
6. All selected bands will be notified privately before a public announcement.
7. No guest band will be announced until a sponsorship check has been received.
Thank you for your support- and good luck to everyone who applies!